Friday, June 3, 2011

Whoopie Pie Weekend!

This past Memorial Day weekend, my good friend and college roommate came to town. Caroline now lives it up in DC. She was only going to be in Cola Saturday night and wanted to do dinner. I just had to bake something since I hadn't seen her since December!

Since her trip was spur of the moment, I wanted to make something easy with what I had. On Saturday I decided to make use of the Devil's Food Cake Mix I bought a while ago. I wanted to make this lower in calories and healthier. Instead of the vegetable oil required, I used the same amount of unsweetened applesauce. Instead of 3 eggs, I used 4 egg whites. I also had a recipe from my Betty Crocker Cupcakes Book for Vanilla Butter Cream icing I've used previously and decided it would be perfect.

As I was mixing this, I saw the recipe on the box for Mini Whoopie Pies. All you had to do was drop it on the parchment paper and bake it for 7-9 mins. I thought that would interesting to try. I just used two cookie sheets covered in Parchment Paper. I used 2 TBSP for each I dropped. It reminded me of making cookies. While that baked, I started on the frosting.

I took two sides and put frosting in the middle. I was afraid I would run out of frosting (I only made frosting for 12 servings) that I just put a little in the middle. Of course I ate some. They were so good! I had two... oops


Of course, I still had extra batter from my experiment, so I baked 12 cupcakes! I greased the muffin pan and when they were done, I put them in cupcake liners. They were stickier then usual, but they tasted so much better than if I had used yucky vegetable oil!!!
I played around with the frosting (BTW, any butter cream icing is amazing). The frosting was for 12 servings, but I was able to spread it out. I playfully decorated half the cupcakes (the circles are interesting... accidentally spilled the sprinkles). For the other 6 cupcakes, I sliced them in half and made mini mini whoopie pies by putting icing in the middle.
Did I mention that with the cupcakes, I put a few chocolate chips in the middle? (I poured batter, sprinkled a few chips, then put more batter.
I went back in to fill the whoopie pies since I had the leftover butter cream. It kinda tore the pies because they were sticky, but didn't hurt the taste. I used blue sprinkles because of memorial day weekend, but it made them look a bit funny, like if I used blueberries. :). Unfortunately, threw away the recipe, but it can be found on the back if you go to a grocery store.

I'm happy to say my friends loved the whoopie pies I made! I brought them to dinner and we ate them after our yummy sushi dinner at Sushi Yoshi. We had such a great time that night. We even split this huge XL Margarita Tower. And randomly, the table beside us were on their third L Margarita Tower and got too drunk and gave us theirs. We had to big Margarita Towers and Mucho Margaritas. It was crazy. Great night!


No comments:

Post a Comment